Posted on March 12 2020
The majority of orders I get are for rings, specifically engagement rings and that always brings up the question from my customers “How do I find her ring size without asking?”
Before I jump into the options for finding the ring size. Let me give you a bit of background to the anatomy of fingers.
ALL ABOUT FINGER SIZES
Finger sizes can change over time for various reasons: temperature, injury to the finger, weight gain or loss, or even illness. You may even notice that your fingers swell or shrink during certain times of day or seasons of the year, or even after a very salty snack. This is totally normal.
Also, fun fact, the average ring size for women is a 6.5 and for men it's a size 10.
HOW TO FIND HER RING SIZE
1) BEST AND EASIEST So, let's move on to how to get your partner’s finger size. If you don’t mind them knowing that you’ll be buying a ring, then the best way is to purchase a set of my sizers. They come with directions for how to use them and I keep a set in the studio so I know exactly what size to make them. The next best way is to have go to a local jeweler to be sized. Although jeweler's sizers vary slightly, this is still the best way that I've found if you don't have my sizers.
In general, thinner bands fit more loosely and wider bands fit more tightly. So, keep that in mind when calculating your finger size. I am happy to help you with any questions, you can always contact us.
2) SNEAKY BUT NOT AS ACCURATE If you want to find your partner's finger size without letting them know, see if they have a ring that they already wear on that exact finger you are wanting to buy a ring for. If they do, then you're in luck! You can use my chart here to see what size it is. Make sure you un-check "scale to fit" when you print it out.
If you have a ring for any other finger it will be a different size and I don't recommend using that to figure out their ring finger size. Also something interesting is that your finger sizes vary even from left hand to your right. So if you have a ring your partner wears on their right-hand ring finger it won't be the same size as their left hand.
3) SHE'LL NEVER KNOW Another thing you can do (this only works if your partner is a heavy sleeper) is to purchase a set of ring sizers here and try on different ring sizes while your partner is sleeping.
4) ASK A FRIEND You could also ask her family and friends if they might know what her ring size is. You will have to swear them to secrecy of course, but it's also exciting to have someone to talk about this with.
5) IF ALL ELSE FAILS I'm more than happy to re-size after the fact, pricing starts at $70 and depends on how much metal I need to add or subtract and the labor involved.
I'm excited and honored to make this special ring for you to propose with! Please contact us with any questions you have, we're happy to help.