I am so proud of the jewelry designers in my industry!
An open letter to the jewelry industry was recently penned by BIPOC jewelry designers to demand equity and long-term commitments to change.
These commitments include:
- Invest in inclusive curriculum for schools and design programs
- Create more educational opportunities in training for BIPOC designers
- Offer opportunities including paid apprenticeships, scholarships, and jobs
- Increase retail shelf space for BIPOC designers
- Employ people of color in all positions of the jewelry industry
- Acknowledge inspiration that originates in POC cultures, traditions, and historical pieces
- Increase art school scholarships and recruitment of BIPOC students
For a full list of detailed commitments check it out here.
Want to know what you can do to help? Start a conversation! Go to their website to show your support and sign up for their newsletter to receive updates and learn how you can help create a more equitable environment for BIPOC in the jewelry industry.